National Fund for Sacred Places
The National Fund supports thriving congregations and their mission to serve local communities by providing planning grants, capital grants, group training opportunities and other consulting services.
The National Fund for Sacred Places is a program of Partners for Sacred Places in collaboration with the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Through this partnership at least 50 houses of worship will be awarded $10 million over four years beginning in 2016.
The Fund provides:
- grants for the planning and execution of urgent capital projects at historic churches that are valued for their cultural importance as well as their role in providing human services, strengthening communities, and revitalizing neighborhoods
- training, capacity-building and technical assistance to ensure that grant-funded projects are successfully planned and implemented.
The combined training, consulting and financial resources will also help congregations make the most of their facilities as agents of community renewal, encouraging collaborations with outside groups to activate spaces in exciting and innovative ways that draw people to the church and encourage investment in the community.
The National Fund is supported by an Advisory Committee, bringing together faith leaders, architects, and philanthropists from across the country to inform the grant-making process.
The National Fund is generously supported by Lilly Endowment, Inc. with additional support in 2019 from the Gerry Charitable Trust.
2018-19 NATIONAL FUND PARTICIPANTS
- 16TH STREET BAPTIST CHURCH (BIRMINGHAM, AL)
- ARLINGTON STREET CHURCH (BOSTON, MA)
- BROAD STREET MINISTRY (PHILADELPHIA, PA)
- PATRONATO SAN XAVIER (TUSCON, AZ)
- ST. PAUL THE PROSPECTOR CHURCH (VIRGINIA CITY, NV)
- ANNUNCIATION GREEK ORTHODOX CH. (MILWAUKEE, WI)
- BRIGHT STAR CHURCH (CHICAGO, IL)
- FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH (DETRIOT, MI)
- FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (STAMFORD, CT)
- NUEVA VIDA NORRISTOWN NEW LIFE (NORRISTOWN, PA)
- OLD FIRST REFORMED CHURCH (BROOKLYN, NY)
- ST. MARY AND ARCHANGEL MICHAEL COPTIC ORTHODOX CHURCH (NASHUA, NH)
- VANCOUVER AVENUE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH (PORTLAND, OR)